The institutional procedures for transferring a grant to a different institution are described on the Division of Sponsored Programs website. Departments are also encouraged to submit the appropriate PI transfer form when a Principal Investigator leaves the institution.

Generally, the original institution must formally relinquish the award and any remaining funding; the new institution must formally accept the award and associated terms and conditions; and the funding agency must approve the transfer to new institution.

For human subjects research, update the HawkIRB application:

  • If the project will continue under another UI Principal Investigator, submit a Modification form to change the PI.
  • If you will take data/specimens with you to your new institution, submit a Modification form to describe this in Section X.5 and Section X.6.
  • If the project will NOT continue under another UI PI, submit a Project Close form.