- Whom can I contact?
- What is an outgoing subaward?
- What is the difference between an outgoing subaward and a Professional Services Agreement (PSA)?
- What offices are involved in processing an outgoing subaward, and what are their respective roles and responsibilities?
- How do initiate an outgoing subaward?
- What do I do if my Subawardee requires an advance payment?
- How do I revise an existing outgoing subaward?
- What is a Zero-Dollar Subaward?
Division of Sponsored Programs (DSP) is responsible for drafting outgoing subawards.
Phone: (319) 335-2123, Staff Directory
Email: email@example.com(link sends e-mail)
An outgoing subaward is an agreement between The University of Iowa and a separate legal entity in support of a sponsored project in which substantive programmatic activity is carried out.
For more information, review Subawards from The University of Iowa. If you are unsure if a subaward agreement is appropriate for your project, please email firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail) for guidance.
3. What is the difference between an outgoing subaward and a Professional Services Agreement (PSA) and a Consulting Agreement?
For a list of characteristics of each type of agreement, review Subaward or Fee for Service.
4. What offices are involved in processing an outgoing subaward, and what are their respective roles and responsibilities?
The following webpages describe the roles and responsibilities of individuals and offices.
- Principal Investigator (PI)/Department
- Division of Sponsored Programs (DSP)
- Grant Accounting Office (GAO)
- Accounts Payable (AP)
Before a subaward is created for a grant or contract, the University of Iowa must have permission from the sponsor to issue an outgoing subaward.
Choosing a Subawardee: Although the competitive bidding process is mandatory, there are circumstances in which Subawardees other than the lowest bidder may be selected.
Requesting a subaward through DSP: In order to create and process a subaward, DSP must receive the following:
- PReq: The category code on the PReq should be 99990000. Completion of the PReq assumes that the PI has verified that the proposed subaward costs are reasonable for the nature of the work.
- Sole Source Justification: Sole Source Justification is required if the outgoing subaward is $25,000 or greater.
- Statement of Work
- Outgoing subaward budget and budget justification
- Audit Certification and Financial Status Questionnaire, if applicable. The questionnaire is required for all new subawards issued to individuals or entities that are not US accredited institutions of higher education.
For additional information regarding how to initiate an outgoing subaward, please review Initiating a Subaward.
Federal guidelines and the NIH Grants Policy Statement allow for advance payments to Subawardees when those recipients lack sufficient working capital to perform the work.
- Review Advance Payments – Outgoing Subaward for applicable guidelines before deciding to issue an advance payment to a Subawardee.
- Attach the following documentation to the PReq: Principal Investigator Subawardee Monitoring Assurance and the Subawardee Request for Advance of Funds (Sample Letter Template).
All revisions, amendments, and modifications to existing subawards must be made in writing and signed by both the University of Iowa and the Subawardee. Please review Revising an Existing Subcontract for guidance.
- If you would like to revise the Subawardee's funding and/or time and the BRF of the MFK has not changed from the previous budget year, you must complete a Subaward Amendment Request Form.
- If you would like to revise the Subawardee's funding and the BRF of the MFK has changed from the previous budget year, you must complete a new PReq.
If a Subawardee performs work involving human or animal studies for the University of Iowa, but does not receive funding from the University of Iowa, a “Zero-Dollar” subaward is required in order to flow down the terms and conditions of the prime award and to ascertain the Subawardee’s compliance with the appropriate human subject and animal care regulations.
To request a Zero-Dollar subaward, please complete the Zero Dollar Subaward Request Form.