If your research requires the use of controlled substances, approvals from both the Iowa Board of Pharmacy Examiners (IBPE) and DEA are required.

For guidance on the registration process and use of controlled substances, please review the Environmental Health & Safety Office’s (EHS) Laboratory Guidelines for Managing Controlled Substances in Research.  

Please contact the EHS or the IBPE for advice about how much of the registration process may be completed before coming to the University of Iowa. 

Phone: 319-335-8501

Iowa Board of Pharmacy Examiners (IBPE) 
Phone: 515-281-5944

The DEA Field Office in Des Moines 
Des Moines phone: 515-284-4709
Cedar Rapids phone: 319-393-6085

For additional information on working with Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) materials on the University of Iowa campus, please see Section 2j of this handbook.